Re: Snort logging portscans from dns

Dňa Pi, 2002-03-22 at 06:58, Jeff napísal:
> Any ideas why Snort is logging portscans from 2 of my providers
> DNS servers?  I see this every day.  Its making only UDP
> connections based on the log:
>
> Mar 19 13:00:47 myhost snort: spp_portscan: portscan status
> from +216.148.227.68: 6 connections across 1 hosts: TCP(0),
> UDP(6)
>
> I think this is due to the DNS servers making several connections
> in my firewall/nat gateway in a short period of time.  But I'm
> not sure.

You shoul add this addresses to snort.conf to section var DNS_SERVERS.
One way how to detect portscans is to look for a lot of connection from
one IP address and DNS is service witch a lot of connections.

Add these DNS IP addresses to DNS_SERVERS and snort will stop reporting
portscans.

> thanks,
> jc
>
> --