Re: ssh keyscanning!?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 01:00:51PM +0100, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:31:02AM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > The firewalling I have in place only allows incoming connections for
> > ssh. UDP is locked down so only DNS works there. And by mistake (fixed now),
> > it also allowed incoming DHCP requests from the internet.
>
> Careful here.  The first DHCP request from a freshly booted machine
> doesn't carry a local IP address (but either 0.0.0.0 or random crap).
> So make sure you don't filter by IP address, but by interface at most.

Yep. My mistake was just to filter by protocol + port number, and
ignoring the interface.

By now I have found that I only have dhcpd listening on eth0 (my
internal network).  Which means that dhcpd was completely irrelevant
here. Sorry about the wild goosechase.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com