Re: wierd connection attempt

Josh Frick, 2002-Mar-16 00:21 -0500:
> Yes,  I most definitely was confused.  Thank you for the clarification.
> I'm not familiar with the RFCs.  My question,  however,  remains:
> aren't network addresses in that range supposed to be prevented from
> crossing (i.e. being routed) the internet?  If they are,  then it's
> possible this traffic is local,  is it not?  I believe my DSL ISP
> assigns a "private"  class IP address before connection.  Would this
> then indicate that the connection attempt was made by another customer
> of the person's ISP?

I have a cable modem and that little bugger sends out constant
broadcasts from 192.168.100.1, which is itself.  It turns out
that the modem has a built in DHCP server.  I set a filter on my
firewall to drop it all silently.

Perhaps you DSL modem as the same.  I tested this by
disconnecting the modem from the public side and plugging my
laptop directly into it and running my dhcp client.  I got an
address on that subnet and the gateway address was set to
192.168.100.1.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer