RE: weird connection attempt

Many ISP's do not know enough to filter the RFC1918 space, or only do so on the border routers and not internally.

Another good idea is to filter out-going packets by source address, allowing through only those whose source is supposed to be inside the network.

Anything with a source of address which is RFC1918 is suspect.