Re: best way to create pop only accounts

Hiya

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:40:18PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 09:21:45AM -0300, Pedro Zorzenon Neto wrote:
> >    Which is the best way to create a POP only account? just change the
> > last field in /etc/passwd to /bin/false?
> 	No. My 2 cents (of Euro): use a directory for POP authentication
> using the appropiate PAM modules, you could easily setup LDAP for this and
> there are quite a number of POP3 daemons that provide LDAP schemas which
> can be readily used in, for example, OpenLDAP.
PAM is definately the way to go here. You can use the debian packages of
for example your popdeamon-of-choice and just install the backend yourself
(if you need to). Doing this via LDAP is a neat way, but you could also do
the authentication and/or storing of all the mail via MySQL.

I bet you are already using PAM to authenticate via /etc/passwd, you're
just not realize this :-)

Check out the (not always easy to read) documentation about PAM, however
it's worth a read.

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://joker.rhwd.de