Re: log analyze applications

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:22:31PM +0100, eim wrote:

> Are there any tools which are smarter, faster and cleaner
> as my combination of log analyze apps. ?

I saw a presentation at the LISA sysadmin conference a couple years ago
about something called SHARP, the "syslog heuristic analysis and
response program".  It definitely sounded interesting, and was written
to address exactly this type of problem.  You can find the paper at
http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/sharp/.  I believe it contains the URL where
you can find the source to SHARP.

Note that I've never actually *run* SHARP, but the idea sounds very
good.  I'm not sure how developed the package is.  Depending on how much
effort you're willing to put into it, this could be an interesting
option to consider.

noah