Re: Exim Relay

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:22:43PM +0100, Laurent Luyckx wrote:
> En réponse à Nemesis <smontras@wanadoo.es>:
>
> > Hello everybuddy:
> >
> > One question, please.
> >
> > When nessus gives a report and says
> >
> > "The remote SMTP server allows the relaying. This means that
> > it allows spammers to use your mail server to send their mails to
> > the world, thus wasting your network bandwidth.
> >
> > Solution: configure your SMTP server so that it can't be used as a
> > relay
> > any more."
> >
> > It is talking about my machine or about my ISP ?
>
> What machine are you probing ? Yours or your ISP?

Also, where are you probing from? Are you running nessus on the same
machine as Nessus says is relaying?

If so, that's a normal false positive. For useful results you should
run Nessus from outside the network you're probing.

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
3B0A 6800 8A1A 78A7 9A26 BB92              \ /  No HTML in mail or news!