Re: default security

also sprach Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> [2002.01.15.1316 +0100]:
> > Debian being what it is, are there any reasons why the debian bind
> > package should not be chroot as the default instalation?
>
> 	RTFM. That is:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html#s-sec-bind
>
> 	:)

well, first of all, this document refers to a bug, #50013 (to which this
is CCd). in the bug, the argument comes up that "opinions differ from
running bind non-root". but a chroot jail is advised.

i'd love to know just why you'd ever run bind as root, even in a jail.
if i have root rights in a jail, i'll break out of the jail within
minutes (e.g. [1]).

second, why would you *need* bind running as root?

and thirdly, please check the threads at [2] and [3] if you are
interested in a discussion on bind9 and chroot.

> > One thing that might be a good idea, would be a security review of the
> > main debian packages. It's probably beeing done for some already, but I
> > would guess a lot of debian packages could benefit from even stricter
> > default setups. For example, maybe libsafe should be default inn all
> > installs.
>
> 	Agreed. Feel free to point to better security measures in the
> Default installation and document them, once done it is a major point of
> pressure to change Debian policy.

running non-root *and* chrooting.

> 	Debian could provide, with only some effort from package
> maintainers versions of daemons chrooted to given environments. This
> however, might break Policy (IMHO).

how would it break policy?

  1. http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html
  2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200109/msg01393.html