Re: I've been hacked by DevilSoul

also sprach Ricardo B <etralex@ua.pt> [2002.01.11.1804 +0100]:
> There is no need for a rootkit to reboot the machine in order to hide himself.
> He can be loaded as a kernel module and then hide all traces of its presence in
> the system, by overriding the proper system calls and /proc info.
> Isn't there a way to turn module loading off (a way that can't be chagend back
>  - without rebooting) ?

i doubt that a kernel module can override the linux kernel filesystem
abstraction layer. but i guess it could be possible.

> Boot the machine with a secure (as in external) kernel and root file system.
> Only then use tripwire to see if anything has changed.
> Hmm... can we trust the BIOS? :-)

how can you overwrite the bios from linux? and: how much does linux care
about the bios? we're dealing with harddrives, and i have *no*
harddrives configured in any bios, i let the kernel take care of it all.

si vis pacem, para bellum