Re: I've been hacked by DevilSoul

Angus D Madden <angus@3wsi.com> wrote on 11/01/2002 (11:53) :
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 05:07:02AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > you've been hacked -> backup -> re-mkfs -> reinstall -> re-config from
> > backup very carefully (i.e. file by file) -> restore user data -> do
> > some post-mortem with backup -> ensure security -> reopen server to
> > public and users -> more post-mortem -> take more security measures.
> >
> > standard procedure.
> >

> agreed.  full disk format and reinstall from backup is the only secure

This is not safe at all if you mean reinstall programs too. You should
reinstall programs from the net/CD distro and update all programs that
has security fixes.

You should only install user files and not configuration files without
checking.

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»