Re: How to find process causing periodic DEST_UNREACH replies?

also sprach Balazs Javor <jb3@freemail.hu> [2002.01.09.2130 +0100]:
> Recently I've installed some IP logging packages like ippl.
> A few days ago a lot of ICMP - destination unreachable - bad port
> messages started showing up comming from my DSL router.

are you behind a firewall?
what's the exact ICMP subcode?

> Unfortunatly the log shows only that they come from the router
> and nothing more.

are you using pppoe or ethernet for DSL? (where do you live?)

> Is it somehow possible to find out which process that is, so that
> I can find the real problem?

get the packets with

tcpdump icmp

at the very least, they contain the first couple of bytes of the IP
datagram that caused them.

fermentation fault.
coors dumped.