VI wrapper for SUDO?

A lazy sysadmin, not thinking through the ramifications, might put
things like "/usr/bin/vi /etc/aliases" in the sudoers file, thinking
that it limits access.  But of course, vi has the ":e" command...

Is there any kind of wrapper that can be used to allow sudo to grant
editing access to only one file?  I am thinking of something similar
to vipw or visudo, but with security in mind; following this basic
algorithm:

1. Using user privileges, Copy the desired file to a temp file owned
   by the real user.
2. Using user privileges, Edit the temp file.
3. Using root privileges, copy the temp file to the final location.

Does such a beast exist?  If not, I think it should.  It should
probably obey the /etc/alternatives preferences for editors, too.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward            bill@wards.net          http://www.wards.net/~bill/