PAM questions

  I'm just getting my nose into PAM, and I have a few questions.
  I am wondering which directives I need in what files.
  For example, is there some reason to have a "password" directive in the ssh
file?
  Or should I just have password directives in the "passwd" and "login" files?
  Also, what permissions work for the pam files?  I'd like to make them
root.root and mode 600, but I don't want to do that if it's going to bork my
system.
  FYI, here are the files I have in /etc/pam.d:
chfn  cron   other   ppp     ssh  sudo   xscreensaver
chsh  login  passwd  screen  su   vlock

thanks,
crh
--
Corey R. Halpin (http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~halpin/ )
Student of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences