Re: In Praise of Dos (RE: Mutt & tmp files)

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:14:54PM -0800, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:47:40PM -0800, Petro wrote:
> > > enviroments and applications to figure out what it takes to make a
> > > system really consistent and usable for you.  Even if you pick some
> > > things that aren't quite finished as part of your enviroment, if
> they
> > > are part of an active project, they will be working much better
> soon.
> >     Go into Netscape, open up some random web page. What's the key
> >     command for find?
> >     Now open Lyx. What's the key command for find? Mutt? Opera?
> >     OpenOffice?
> >     Just like Windows 3.11.
> >     Which was my point.
> Install Netscape 4.x, 6.x, Mozilla, and IE on a windows box.

> Good luck expecting the same key strokes to do the same thing in each
> application.

    I don't have Netscape for my windows laptop, but on Opera, IE,
    Pegasus Mail, Star Office, and Office the  Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste,
    and Find options all had the exact same key commands. Most of them
    (were applicable) had the same key command for undo. All of them
    used ctrl-n for "new", whatever "new" meant in their context. Even
    WinCVS, a port of a Unix App uses most of these. Ctrl-p is almost
    always print etc.

    Beyond those basics, there will (and arguably should) be differences
    in what keys do, but the basics should (were applicable) be
    consistent across an interface.

    But his is hugely off topic, and I'll go no futher down this road.

--
Share and Enjoy.