Re: Root is God? (was: Mutt & tmp files)

On Fre, Nov 16, 2001 at 05:48:11PM +0100, Ralf Dreibrodt wrote:

> you have just another definition of root.

no. we don't have any user concept there.

> you mean the user with the id 0. this user is really not able to do
> this.  but root after my definition can hit the reset-button, put in a
> cdrom and boot from the cdrom.

root does also have access to a remote link. so does the attacker. the
linux system doesn't have any mean of whom exactly is changing the
cdrom. there's an abstraction layer to identify you with, typically, a
password in the system. this stuff is stored on easy-to-modificate
media. you must have a proection in the kernel in a secure environment
and even then it's not secure.

> as long as you booted the "normal" way.

of course. but, how dou you wanna change it?

> btw: is there anything similar to the international kernel patch for
> linux 2.4.x?

dunno.

openwall and stealth patch also don't work on 2.4.x...