Re: Vulnerable SSH versions

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:09:46PM +0100, Jørgen Hermanrud Fjeld wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 November 2001 09:52, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > 2.4 is also especially problematic on i386 since you have to fit it on
> > all these archaic 1.22MB floppies and such.
>
> Hmm, I thought the 2.4 kernel was quite compact, and sometimes smaller, when
> compiled than the 2.2, ( I don't know though. )

quite the opposite, its much much larger.

> Having had the need of a 2.2.13 kernel for installing Debian on a machine
> with HW RAID and reiserfs, I rolled my own boot disks. Although I didnt
> install lots of stuff in my kernel, it isn't overly sized.
> This is 'df -h' when mounting the rescue disk for 1220 floppy:
> ********
> /usr/src/boot-floppies/resc1200.bin
>                     1.2M  993k  192k  84% /usr/src/boot-floppies/resc
> ********
> This kernel is admittedly not very versatile.
> I'll attach my config file as well
> My drivers.tgz file is quite small, but then again, I have very few modules.
>
> I assume someone have tried making 1220 floppies with 2.4.x, finding it
> difficult, and were not just assuming?

yes, see -boot archives.

> And will the next generation bootstrap system make it any easier to switch?
> If not, what is crucial for the switch to happen?

debian-installer is not anywhere near ready for prime-time and won't
be used for woody, development is concentrated on boot-floppies
otherwise we will never have any kind of working install system.

besides the size problem the decision is not up to -boot, i386 woody
will ship with 2.2.19 or 2.2.20, that is not going to change.  (aph
the boot-floppies maintainer has spoken on this already).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/