From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh [mailto:hmh@debian.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 09:53
To: Howland, Curtis
Cc: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Vulnerable SSH versions

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Howland, Curtis wrote:
> The tar file that contains the "base" Woody install, which is used as
> the jumping off point for installation.

There isn't one, at least not for bootflopies. We use debootstrap to
fetch
the most up-to-date packages of that distribution and install them, not
tarball.

> As far as the change from 2.2.x to 2.4.x, if you don't think it was
all
> that confusing then you don't use pcmcia services. The 2.2.x kernel

That looks like a quite bad usability bug on the pcmcia-related packages
me, but I have not looked deeply (read: not at all) into the problem.

> modules are all still there, but they no longer work. That means that
> not only do you need to find out the new modules names, you have to
> ensure you don't use any of the old ones.

The 2.2.x modules should not be kept somewhere the 2.4 kernels will find
them. This is certainly a big problem.

> Seriously flawed, IMNSHO, and very confusing. It also led to a version
> conflict with modutils, where I had to boot back into 2.2.x in order
> install modutils v2.4.10. I still get error messages from modutils on
> both boot-up and shutdown about version conflicts and missing modules.

Please file bugs against the appropriate packages, so as to have them
insure
they have a new-enough modutils, at the very least.

  Henrique Holschuh