Re: FTP and security

* Brandon High (armitage@freaks.com) [011108 12:25]:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:29:08PM +0100, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> > Is FTP really insecure ?
> > I use a version of ProFtpd.
>
> The protocol is insecure, since it sends login and authentication
> information over the wire in clear text.

...which has no bearing on anonymous ftp access. Again, it all comes
down to what your needs are for functionality and for security.
Anonymous ftp can be set up quite securely.

As others have suggested, sftp works well for me. I use ssh.com's
windows client (free for hobbyist use), which is simple enough for
anyone familiar with windows' drag-and-drop interface.

> Different FTP daemons have different security issues.

This, of course, is very true, and, unfortunately, I can offer no good
advice in terms of which are more secure than others (though I can warn
that staying away from WU is probably a good idea).

good times,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.