Re: Which ssh should I have?

Quoting Ted Cabeen (ted@impulse.net):

> >Hm, why should I do that? Is my admin right when he thinks that my
> >current sshd is vulnerable? I have the latest stable precompiled
> >package, i.e. the default ssh installed.
>
> Make sure that you have the security site in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
> If you do, and apt-get update; apt-get upgrade says you're up to date, then
> you're fine.  In general, the security team patches the current version to
> fix security bugs in stable rather than upgrade to a newer version.  That
> could be confusing your sysadmin.  The CRC bug was patched in debian as of
> ssh version 1.2.3-9.2.  You can look at the changelog in
> /usr/share/doc/ssh/changelog.Debian.gz for specific information.

The original posting was "... (I'm running woody on a laptop PC). I
should have all the security fixes installed on my system (there is
this security.debian.org line on my sources.list file). "

One has to be a little more careful than that if one is running woody
(i.e. not stable) because security-patched versions for potato may be
seen as downgrades by one's system, and apt-get may ignore them.

Cheers,