Re: question about something, but don't know if it exists...

xskoba1@kremilek.gyrec.cz wrote:

> Hallo there,
>
>         I really don't know if it should be asked there or somewhere else,
> but my problem is followin.... I live in untrusted enviroment which is
> running 50 computers (it is school and packets are running up and down
> everywhere). I need to use outside HTML sites and POP
> accounts, but they, as many providers in Czech, don't support SSL or
> anything else than just clear autentification. So is there a software
> which connets onto server (for example proxy) through SSL and then
> redirect data channels onto right ports as an clear connection outside (I
> cannot solve the situation on provider routers of course, but it has
> happen few times that students stole their passwords and so on and mainly
> they could steal even teacher's these days.)

Can you get a shell account on the outside of your local network?
If so SSH over to it, then access the pop mail server.  Without
having a machine to serve as the endpoint for an excrypted pipe on
the outside of your network I don't see a way to secure the
communications.

Another possibility would be to have them replace the hubs with
switches, this assumes you are using twisted pair, not thin net
or thick net.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |