Re: nmap ...

Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> Ports that are >1024 are assigned dynamically.  For instance, suppose
> you connect to a remote website.  You are connecting to port 80 on the
> remote machine, but you are also opening a high port on the local
> machine.  So you connect from port 55234 to 80, or 1025 to 80.  Open
> ports above 1024 will appear and disappear regularly as the system is used.

Thats not true. nmap shows "open" ports which means that something is
listening on them. If I connect from localhost:1024 to
www.debian.org:80 that does not mean that my port 1024 is open. It
doesn't accept connections.
I actually think that the explanation from Moritz was correct. I have
not seen this kind of behaviour with recent versions of nmap.
Phil