Re: Was I hacked into? who is user "nobody"? please help....

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:59:54AM -0500, Gianguido Cianci wrote:
> a few minutes ago I heard my PC getting into a lot of fuss over
something,
> the HDD was spinning like crazy...  so I looked at "top" and found
that user
> "nobody" was running a "find" comand....
> Now, is this a bad thing?  it SURE looks liek one.

nobody is a low-privilege system user which is used to do certain
tasks to avoid having root do them.  that was the update running which
builds the catalog for the locate(1) command.

if you look around, you may notice another daemon or 2 running as
nobody, like ippl, proftpd, whatever.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |