on Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 06:09:34PM -0700, Dansuki Ahmed (dansu_ahmed2002@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Sir,
> I am a Colonel and presently in  Kuwait as a military
> attach?, I got your contact through your country's
> chamber of commerce.

I realize this is about a week stale (somebody's not keeping up with his
mail).  I've compiled an essay on this scam posted below, and available
as part of my standard rant-o-matic at:

Distribute freely.

The above is an example of the "Nigerian Scam", also called 419 Letters,
or just plain 419.  Most 419 letters and emails originate from or are
traceable back to Nigeria. However, some originate from other nations,
mostly also West African nations such as Ghana, Togo, Liberia, Sierra
Leone, Ivory Coast ( Cote D'Ivoire ) etc.

It's the current wrinkle of a decades-old scam that nets tens of
millions of dollars per year, and may be the third largest industry in
Nigeria.  The 419 Coalition believes that it is the elites from which
successive governments of Nigeria have been drawn who are the scammers.
Expect little cooperation from Nigerian authorities.

Information in this notice is compiled from various sources, links
below.  Keep reading for reporting information.

The Scam operates as follows: the target receives an unsolicited fax,
email, or letter concerning Nigeria containing either a money laundering
or other illegal proposal OR you may receive a Legal and Legitimate
business proposal by normal means.  Invariably, the proposition involves
resources which are somehow locked up:  oil or other invoice problems, a
bequest, money cleaning, or misallocated funds.

At some point, the victim is asked to pay up front an Advance Fee of
some sort.  If the victim pays the Fee, there are many "Complications"
which require still more advance payments until the victim either quits,
runs out of money, or both.

To report the scam:

    If you are a United States Citizen or Resident and have suffered NO
    Financial Loss, write "No Financial Loss - For Your Database" on the
    documents you received and Fax them to the US Secret Service Task
    Force handling Scam matters at 202-406-6930.

    Documents may be emailed to
        mailto:419.fcd@usss.treas.gov?subject: "No Loss -- 419 Scam"

    IF you are a United States Citizen or Resident and YOU HAVE SUFFERED
    A FINANCIAL LOSS write "Financial Loss - Contact Me ASAP" on the
    documents you have received and Fax them to the Task Force at
    202-406-6930 and give Your telephone number(s).  A Secret Service
    Agent will call you back as soon as possible to discuss the matter
    with you (don't worry, you're Not in any trouble).

    (Above from http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/index.htm)

Other countries have their own reporting methods, see above for more

Additional information:

    Google search:

    Federal Republic of Nigeria, Embassy:

    Sierra Leone:  Nigerian 419 Scam:
	Sample letters are archives as no's 01 - 33:
	http://www.sierra-leone.org/scam01.html -

    Nigeria Scam Letter Archive

    Nigeria - The 419 Coalition Website

    U.S. Postal Authorities crack down on Nigerian Spam

    Nigeria - The 419 Coalition Website

    Urban Legends:  Nigerian Scam

    Salon: I crave your distinguished indulgence (and all your cash)

    Nigerian 419 Scam "Game Over!"
    Book describes how the scam plays out.

Thank you.