From: "Brian P. Flaherty" <vze2rfri@verizon.net>
To: <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 10:04 PM
Subject: Why do people do this? [Was fishingboat in root]

So, I found it in netwatch.c.  Why do people create these files?  I
have enough to do already, without wasting time looking for the source
of spurious files.

static unsigned char fillmac[] = {  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0  };
static FILE *fish = NULL;
static char fishname[] = "/root/.fishingboat";
static int fishlen = 0;
static char *fishp;

Could a message go in the README.Debian file in netdiag that says
something to the effect of "netwatch will create a silly file,
/root/.fishingboat, don't worry about it."  How about on the manpage
in the files section?

--
Brian P. Flaherty

--