Re: Why do people do this? [Was fishingboat in root]

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:41:13PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Jamie Heilman (jamie@audible.transient.net) [010831 10:34]:
> > Jason Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > maybe ask the maintainer of the package to change it to something
> > > meaningful!
> >
> > better yet, uninstall the package and boycott stupid behavior
>
> That's not really better ... it's not like packages are in competition
> with each other and this one will be run out of business by everyone not
> using it.
>
> A better solution would be to file a bug report. I don't think it's
> explicitly mentioned in the policy manual, but it makes sense that
> unless a binary is named fishingboat or in package fishingboat, it
> shouldn't make a .fishingboat (except maybe under
> ~/.packagename/.fishingboat). I don't think that sounds too
> unreasonable, and it looks like it should be a very easy patch.

it seem to be an ugly "easter egg"/joke
Like me, when i first saw wanda the fish across my desktop i thought to be
chrooted from someone who lives with me ( we are all informatics) so i started
to shout "Ok Ok, who is ???"
security ppl don't agree jokes

:-))

Samuele

--
Samuele Tonon  <samu@linuxasylum.net>
Undergraduate Student  of  Computer Science at  University of Bologna, Italy