Re: Is ident secure?

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 12:11:11PM +0200, Martin F Krafft wrote:
> > > identd is a horrible concept and elicits shrieks among
> > > the security conscious. i do understand that you need it for this and
> >
> > Would you mind explaining that statement?
>
> it's in my other post. ident is an easy way to establish whether e.g.
> named is running as root so as to properly target attacks.

Not if configured appropriately. Good identds don't allow reverse ident
scanning anymore.

> it tells you the uid. for root, that's 'root' and that's pretty damn
> sensitive information right there...

Agreed, leaking UIDs is serious. Which is why modern identds support returning
crypted uids which can only be decoded by the originating server admin.

--
Colin Phipps         PGP 0x689E463E     http://www.netcraft.com/