Re: Strange events...

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:

>Hello! This morning I cheked mail and I found a strange message by
>logcheck from a my server...
>
>Unusual System Events
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>***************
>*** WARNING ***: Log file /var/log/mail.log is smaller than last time checked!
>***************  This could indicate tampering.

[snip]

Did you received the logcheck warning in the logcheck message sent in the
7am hour for the previous hour?  It's quite possible that you have a machine
doing what one of mine is doing:  On Sundays, one of the logs gets rotated
twice.  The logfile gets rotated once for a weekly cron job and then
rotated again for a daily cron job (or maybe the other way around).  You
might check into that and find that your machine has not been compromised
at all... :)

--
David R. Sowder
Network Manager/Lead Software Technician