Re: VPN and Firewall

Philipp Schulte, 2001-Aug-17 20:53 +0200:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 02:28:19PM -0400, Dan Hutchinson wrote:
>
> > Ok, the only problem that looks left is if a Linux VPN will run with
> > a COTS VPN?
>
> That's why I was asking if you want to use IPsec. IPsec is well
> defined and there are several implementations.
> As long as both implementations follow the standards everything should
> work.
> Phil

   The IPSec standard really isn't.  It's more of a reference
   model.  That being said most VPN solutions that use IPSec will
   interoperate in Main mode with pre-shared keys.  This is the
   most basic form of operation.  Using Aggressive mode with some
   form of dynamic key mechanism, such as Digital Certificates,
   interoperability is much less likely since the "standard"
   leaves so much open for interpretation.

   As for an IOP listing, you'll have to go directly to each
   vendor/supplier of the VPN solution you're considering and
   check there.

   I hope this helps,
   jc

--