inetd questions

Hi All.

Recently some members of my LUG were cracked on their dial-up machines.
With that in mind, I've taken it upon myself to tighten things up and
understand what the system is doing.  A recuring mystery to me is some
of the services enabled/disabled in /etc/inetd.conf.  In particular, how
critical are the internal services of echo, chargen, discard, daytime,
and time.  Which of these are security risks and which are necessary for
a smooth running network?

Many texts say something like, "disable unneeded services in inetd.conf"
which is great advice, until one is unsure what is needed.  Most of the
other services are self explanatory.

A second question.  I have performed some nmap scans on my machines and
noted a couple ports listed as unkown services.  How can I indetify
these mysteries either by cross referencing them to a PID or by some
other means.

Thanks,

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good