Re: --no-run option (was: Re: red worm amusement)

On 22-Jul-01, 16:06 (CDT), Steven Barker <scbarker@uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 04:00:43PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > The standard-config is normally sane, and when you do not think so, place
> > another config-file there before installing it.

Hmmm, I don't know that that would work on a clean install (no
/var/lib/dpkg/info/foo.conffiles). Must try...

> You are right, and I don't think that running with a default configuration
> would be a problem would be a problem often.  But an option to prevent
> servers (or perhaps all daemons, networked or not) from running on install
> would let anyone who does not want the default configuration the chance to
> change settings before starting it up.
>
> Another problem with the current system is that disabled (as in, not running
> and removed from /etc/rc?.d) daemons restart themselves when they are
> upgraded.

Folks, this is all designed and implemented, and is waiting
on the sysvinit and file-rc maintainers to integrate. See
http://bugs.debian.org/76868 (Note that it changed somewhat during the
disccussion, so read *all* the way through before commenting.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read