Re: --no-run option (was: Re: red worm amusement)

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 04:00:43PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Steven Barker wrote:
>
> > I think that there should be a way to install a debian server packages
> > without having the installation scripts start the server.  This need not be
> > default, but it should be possible.
>
> Why should anyone want to install a server without letting it run?

Security, customibility, flexability....

> The standard-config is normally sane, and when you do not think so, place
> another config-file there before installing it.

You are right, and I don't think that running with a default configuration
would be a problem would be a problem often.  But an option to prevent
servers (or perhaps all daemons, networked or not) from running on install
would let anyone who does not want the default configuration the chance to
change settings before starting it up.

Another problem with the current system is that disabled (as in, not running
and removed from /etc/rc?.d) daemons restart themselves when they are
upgraded.  Often they are in packages that are so fundamental that they
cannot realistically be removed (ie: inetd).  The same mechanism in apt/dpgk
that allows non-run installations could also permit non-run upgrades
(perhaps even automatically detected).

I'm not planning to hacking this into dpkg, but perhaps it will be a future
project.  I'm always interested in other opinions as well.

--
Steven Barker                                      scbarker@uiuc.edu
  "I will make no bargains with terrorist hardware."