Re: red worm amusement

Alright, I said I was bowing out, but I will reply to this last email.
In my first post, I may not have been completely clear.  I said that
OpenBSD doesn't start services that are insecure.  Now, we all know
that no service is totally secure, so that statement is somewhat of
an oxymoron.  However, no one on any OpenBSD mailing list is telling
people to turn off the services that are started by default, while
on this list, everyone is always saying to turn off inetd and
whatever else they are not using.  My point is, why should someone
have to go through the trouble of turning them off?  Why are they
started in the first place, if the advice it to immediately shut them
off?  If a person needs that service then they can turn it on, correct?
This extends to packages that are added to the base system.  I don't
think it's right to assume that one wants to start the service
immediately.  The argument that you shouldn't install a service if
you don't know what you're doing just doesn't make sense.  If you
never install the package, then how are you going to know anything
about it?  How are you going to customize a configuration file,
if you have no file to modify?

CaT's reply that packages are starting to made with provisions to
exit the init script before the service is started, is I guess really
the answer I was looking for.  Is that a new policy?  If it is, I
think it's a good one.

As to not waste any more innocent bystanders bandwidth/disk space,
if anyone wishes to further discuss the questions I raised above,
or try to flame me, please send your email to:

<jakemsr@clipper.net>