Re: red worm amusement

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:38:23AM -0700, Magus Ba'al wrote:
> <quote>No machine is 100% secure, except those machines that do not
> exist. Anyone who thinks their box is 100% secure has rocks in their
> heads, regardless what OS they are running.</quote>
>
> Don't mean to sound like an annoyance, but I have a 100% secure
> computer. It's currently dissasembled, with the parts stored in
> different containers, and no OS on the hard drive. Crack that!

*grabs HD and installs it into another pc* ;)

> Sorry, just a poor stab at humor. While I've always been proud that the
> debian list has pretty much been better than any other list at keeping
> flame wars to a minimum, today is an exception. At times this latest
> thread has become "well, my cock is bigger, so I'm more right than

it's starting to feel that way.

> you!". Yes, maybe daemons should ask to be started during startup, or
> prompt to be configured like exim. But who's to say that a new user
> won't choose an option that leads them to be vulnerable. When I first

well. that'll be a concious choice by the user instead of an automated
one I guess.

> started I *know* I made some big mistakes. Maybe Debian should have some

mistakes are what we learn from the best. unfortunately they tend to
have the nastiest of sideeffects at times (but I guess that's why they
are such great teachers)

> firewall rules that are run to block vulnerable services when they are
> installed and then tell you how to unblock them. Maybe a billion
> different ways it could be, but it's not. I must commend the Debian team
> for maintaining the best distro, IMNSHO. I thought the Debian community

aye. we're dumping redhat/slackware boxes for debian. one of the primary
reasons is the ease with which you can keep the box uptodate and secure.

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au)		*** Jenna has joined the channel.
				<cat> speaking of mental giants..