RE: red worm amusement

-----Original Message-----
From: CaT [mailto:cat@zip.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 1:11 AM
To: Jacob Meuser
Cc: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: red worm amusement

<quote>No machine is 100% secure, except those machines that do not
exist. Anyone who thinks their box is 100% secure has rocks in their
heads, regardless what OS they are running.</quote>

Don't mean to sound like an annoyance, but I have a 100% secure
computer. It's currently dissasembled, with the parts stored in
different containers, and no OS on the hard drive. Crack that!

Sorry, just a poor stab at humor. While I've always been proud that the
debian list has pretty much been better than any other list at keeping
flame wars to a minimum, today is an exception. At times this latest
thread has become "well, my cock is bigger, so I'm more right than
you!". Yes, maybe daemons should ask to be started during startup, or
prompt to be configured like exim. But who's to say that a new user
won't choose an option that leads them to be vulnerable. When I first
started I *know* I made some big mistakes. Maybe Debian should have some
firewall rules that are run to block vulnerable services when they are
installed and then tell you how to unblock them. Maybe a billion
different ways it could be, but it's not. I must commend the Debian team
for maintaining the best distro, IMNSHO. I thought the Debian community
was better than the others due to the fact that we work together to come
up with ideas, not thinking 'My Way(tm)' is the only good option. So far
all the points brought up have been valid and very arguable. The problem
is that it's turning into a 'your idea sucks' pissing match. The best
idea is to gather all the ideas and pick the best way to do things.
Maybe the way it's currently done was the best of the ideas at the time.
Trying to get amy package maintainers to redo their packages at the snap
of a finger is ridiculous. Maybe we should try putting our heads
together and find the best solution to securely
installing/configuring/starting daemons, and then present that to the
Debian team? Maybe someone has a better idea than I do on how to get
stuff changed. The point is to work together!

All flames are welcome is you are so inclined. But please email me
directly, and me only. Do not reply, CC/BCC the list directly if you
really need to get some aggression out. Thanks!

Steven Beverly

"I am the Illustrious Postmaster and Grand Poobah of Electronic
Transmissions" -Mary Jo Pehl, MST3K

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not
become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also
gazes
into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche