Re: red worm amusement

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:42:28AM +0200, Martin Bieder wrote:

> WARNING: You have started this car! You are about to drive this car.
> That means, you will be moving, what means that accidents could be
> harmful for you. Do you really want to proceed?
>
>      [Yes]       [No]        [Abort]
>

> Do you want something like that?
>
> SCNR

Well, someone has decided to attack me for using an analogy, so I will
refrain from saying how this doesn't go with what I'm saying.

What I would like is for packages to not start a service immediately
upon installation.  I don't want the installation of packages to
put put links in /etc/rc?.d.  IF not that, then something like:

Apache by default listens on port 80.  Apache is now listening for
incoming internet connections on port 80.  Links have been installed
in /etc/rc?.d, so that this machine will be listening for connections
on port 80 everytime this machine is booted.
Because you are running a service, it is VERY important that you
read and follow the advice at http://www.debian.org/security/

<jakemsr@clipper.net>