Re: red worm amusement

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:21:09PM -0700, Nicole Zimmerman wrote:

> > > last i used OpenBSD (2.6) it started portmap and identd by default at
> > > the very least, maybe fingerd too i don't remember for sure.
> > >
> > The difference is, those were not exploitable.
>
> And they are on debian?

It seems everyone on this list YELLS at people who leave rpc.statd
running.  I don't know whether it's exploitable or not, I know
enough to turn it off because I don't use it.  I am not talking about
people who know what they are doing.  I am talking about new users
who have no practical knowledge of the system.  I'm talking about
protecting them from being immediately vulnerable.  If people are
running services, they should know how to start and stop them, right?

<jakemsr@clipper.net>