Re: red worm amusement

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 03:26:17PM -0700, Tim Uckun wrote:

> Well I thought I answered this question. Because Microsoft claims that you
> don't need them. They promise that their servers are easy to set up and
> maintain by "normal people". When your CIO goes to shop around for a
> product and makes his cost analysis he does not add the cost of the
> sysadmin to the NT column. Microsoft told him that it was not needed and
> that it's a useless expense. I suppose CIO could be blamed for actually
> believing what MS says but let's face it most people don't realize that an
> MS executive will get fired if they don't lie to ten people by noon.

there is a word to describe this: fraud.

> In a nutshell. The CIO bought a product and used it as advertised. It's
> really not the fault of the CIO that the product when used as advertised is
> faulty.  The irresponsibility rests with MS who advertises stable, secure
> and high performance operating systems which don't need sysadmins to run.

this is called `false advertising' and last i checked it was illegal
in the United States.

then again after all of these years i think ill bring up another
timeless quote:

"fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/