Re: aargh... I am being asked to change to SuSE

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:03:41AM +0300, Juha Jäykkä wrote:

>   Anyone care to help me: I need some _strong_ points in favour of
> Debian, against SuSE. No crap, please. I need to presuade my superiors
> to turn from RH to Debian instead of SuSE as they would like to do. I
> need strong evidence in favour of Debian if I am to succeed in
> enforcing it. I do not know SuSE myself, so I cannot fight them (they
> do not know Debian, but they are the ones who decide - they do not
> need to) alone. I only care for security/administrability issues now.

One problem with administrability is YaST. A knowledgeable unix admin
will have no problems to run a Debian box. But in my experience SuSE's
YaST interferes with any by-hand tuning. Also an admin who has never
used YaST before must first learn how to use it, and also learn what's
different with YaST, what works, and what the flaws are.

 - Sebastian, who doesn't like YaST at all