Re: change password in network

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] suming su wrote:

> I'd like to change the root password across the
> network(20 boxes) when I change mine. and I wish to
> change all of them automatically except I have to
> change mine by hand.
> is there a way to do this?

You can configure one of the ways of doing distributed/
centralized authentication (NIS, LDAP, etc.).  Even if
you do do that, however, you're better off to leave the
root account out of that and on the local machine (if
it breaks, root wouldn't be able to log in) and, IMO,
every root account should have a different password
anyways.  Yeah, it sucks having to remember that many
passwords, but if an attacker gets into one of your
machines, he's got 'em all.

j.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jlgaddis@blueriver.net>