Re: shared root account

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:38:56PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:

> Give me physical access and I don't need your root password, though it may
> help make the job less detectable.  But you don't get more security than you
> physically have to begin with.

detectability is the key here, the case should be locked shut,
bootloader put into restricted mode (no special args without
password), and firmware protected to only boot from the specific
disk.  when you do all of this the machine will HAVE to be shutdown
and physically broken open.  the shutdown alone should cause you to
perform a thorough audit (especially when you find the case broken and
cut open...).

compare this to your envolope idea where the machine need not even be
shutdown and tell me which is more likely to go by unnoticed.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/