Re: Pam 0.72-26 critically broken

> oliver <oliver@yoda> wrote:
>
> >>  > Hi.  I uploaded a version of PAM today that fails to minimally work.
> >>  > If you install this package, the main  PAM module (pam_unix) fails
> >>  > load.  This means that login, su and other programs that ask for a
> >>  > password all fail.
>  >
>  > I recogniced it after booting!!
>  > can only boot with "linux init=/bin/bash"
>  > Currently i`m on my gateway (console, pine, etc.), what do you suggest,
>  > how do I get this machine running again?
>  >

> I took a install cd and did a :
> linux root=/dev/hda1 rw init=/bin/sh
>
> after that i made lilo prompt so i could do a linux single on the lilo
> boot prompt then i got my machine in single mode got online got the
> new pack installed it and all fixed

Thanks for that Henrik, a stitch in time saves nine.
That had the gateway machine running again, after considerable head
scratching I have the other machines running with a small modification to
your line above. try :

    linux root=/dev/hda3 rw single

perhaps this will be of some use to others

regards
Mark