Re: nmap 2.12

Tim Haynes <debian@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> writes:
>
> [snip]
> > The reason is called 'stable' ;-)
> >
> > Debian does not put new versions into stable. It just allows security
> > fixes to be made to it. Okay, ocassionally a new upgrade (e.g. 2.2r1 to
> > 2.2r2) may fix some serious breakage as well, but that's about it.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > If you want more recent versions of various packages, point yourself at
> > 'testing' or 'unstable'. My nmap is 2.54.22.BETA-2 (from testing) which
> > beats your 2.53. The preference functionality in apt should let you pull
> > down only selected packages from testing and/or unstable. I don't know if
> > potato's apt already supports this though.
>
> FWIW, one way that I used until I recently converted this whole box up to
> Testing was to have sources that came from unstable/testing/secure/stable
> in that order, while binary packages only came from secure/stable in that
> order. Hence, if I wanted a newer version I didn't have to dist-upgrade the
> whole box, but could (normally) build on stable.

On a really secure box I wouldn't want to have the build environment
needed to do this.  Perhaps on another reasonably secure box where I
am the one and only normal user, but that's another story.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development

     Free Software: `No walls, no windows!  No fences, no gates!'