Re: nmap 2.12

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> writes:

[snip]
> The reason is called 'stable' ;-)
>
> Debian does not put new versions into stable. It just allows security
> fixes to be made to it. Okay, ocassionally a new upgrade (e.g. 2.2r1 to
> 2.2r2) may fix some serious breakage as well, but that's about it.

Indeed.

> If you want more recent versions of various packages, point yourself at
> 'testing' or 'unstable'. My nmap is 2.54.22.BETA-2 (from testing) which
> beats your 2.53. The preference functionality in apt should let you pull
> down only selected packages from testing and/or unstable. I don't know if
> potato's apt already supports this though.

FWIW, one way that I used until I recently converted this whole box up to
Testing was to have sources that came from unstable/testing/secure/stable
in that order, while binary packages only came from secure/stable in that
order. Hence, if I wanted a newer version I didn't have to dist-upgrade the
whole box, but could (normally) build on stable.

HTH,

~Tim
--
   01:01:40 up 7 days,  5:05, 13 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00
piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk |There's a lighthouse, Shining in the black,