Re: gnupg problem

Joseph Pingenot <jap3003@ksu.edu> writes:

> So why not create in the virtual package an actual wrapper script (e.g.
>   dpgpw for 'Debian PGP Wrapper') that detects the version of pgp or gpg
>   or whatever is installed on the system (or chooses which one to
>   use if multiple pgp implementations are installed), detects which
>   version is installed, and presents to the end user a unified interface
>   to the implementations (and maybe allows the user to, through clever use
>   of options, use something that, say, pgp has but gnupg doesn't).

I don't think this is worth the trouble.  After all, all alternatives
to GnuPG are non-free software, and it's not only the command line
interface which differs.  The OpenPGP RFC specifies only the message
format, not the behavior of OpenPGP implementations.

> Who knows?  Maybe a Debian Standard GPG Interface might become an industry
>   standard?  :)

Is it likely that NAI is going to release command line interface
implementations for PGP 7.x and beyond?  I don't think so.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/