passwd et al

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:02:47AM -0600, Hubert Chan wrote:
> Well, obviously my proposed scheme wouldn't work (because of the
> previously mentioned exploit), but the motivation behind the scheme
> was to reduce the number of SUID programs (because if you don't need
> it to be SUID, you're safer without it being SUID).  Is there any
> (sane) way of making it so that programs such as passwd, chsh, etc.
> don't need to be SUID?

You could have an SUID helper that does the changes and some magic
(userv perhaps?) between it and the apps.

I'm not sure what the point is.  The resulting apps would be new and
wouldn't have been oggled by all the eyes that have looked at the
shadow suite.

Simon.

--
[ "Just wait. My crystal ball is infallible." -- Linus                 ]