Re: rlinetd security

In message <[🔎] ub6n174w5bh.fsf@zonker.llnl.gov>, Dale Southard writes:
>sami@juvonen.org (Sami J. Juvonen) writes:
>> What I would really like Debian to do when installing services is to *not*
>> start them by default. Just install all the files, but make init scripts
>> not run unless edited.
>
>Is something like the IRIX or redhat (gasp) `chkconfig` system worth
>considering?

It's not a bad solution, but on fully-loaded systems, the number of chkconfig
options might get a little out of hand.

In other news, the maintainer of netbase is against removing the netbase
dependency on netkit-inetd, but I can't really seem to tell why.  I've looked
at his posts on debian-devel and in the BTS, but I haven't found a good
justification for the dependency yet.  If anyone does know Anthony's reasons,
I'd like to hear them.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen@pobox.com
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2      secabeen@uchicago.edu