Re: rlinetd security

> > I do care.  I often disable inetd completely, if the server in question
> > doesn't need any of what it offers.
>
> Interesting thought...  I wonder if I can get away with that easily?

No, you can't if you're plan is to uninstall inetd, the package structure is
broken and won't allow it due to $@)!ed up dependancies.  I've been trying
to do it for ages.  Then, when I found equivs I danced a jig.  Its pretty
much impossible to do in potato, I think you can pull it off in sid/woody
though with the help of equivs - I haven't tried as my only unstable box
actually needed inetd, and was only accessible from an internal network so
I wasn't worried about inetd's underlying flaws wrt DoSability and lack of
concurency limiting.  If you use inetd on untrusted interface you are
asking for pain, I thought that was fairly well understood by now.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"I was in love once -- a Sinclair ZX-81.  People said, "No, Holly, she's