Re: rlinetd security

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 07:15:55PM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> I know you are right, but I have become curious now: if everyone says that
> you do not need them, then where are they used for? And why are they still
> installed by default?

 All those internal services are for testing/debugging, except for the
"time" service, which is used by rdate.  If you don't run around
playing with netcat, you _don't_ need them.

 The "turn it off if you don't need it" rule applies to services you
don't know about.  If you don't know if something will break if you
turn it off, turn it off and see if something breaks.  If nothing
breaks, leave it off.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y