Re: Kernel 2.4 SOS

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 10:48:22AM +0200, Craig wrote:
> Now what i need to know, is woody stable enough for a proxy/firewall machine

I do not know the answer to this as I haven't really used woody yet.
But, the stuff you need to make it work smoothly on a potato box can be
found starting from here:

http://www.debian.org/News/2001/20010415

Fwiw, I had no problems at all using a 2.4 kernel on a regular potato
box without the updates mentioned at that link, the only exception was
that the old version of modprobe couldn't load any 2.4 modules.  So you
could:

a) update to the modutils package included in the updates above;
b) build all your drivers statically into the kernel, thereby not
needing modutils;
c) write some 'insmod' lines into your scripts to load modules, the old
insmod still works fine (and is what I did).

HTH.