Re: Warning message about /boot/System.map-2.2.19

Hi,

I've also encountered this problem when running a ps after recompiling a brand new kernel. Apparently, ps (and probably other applications) try to fetch the System.map in / so if you just symlink it to the new System.map file it should solve the issue.

Regards,

Chris

Alexander Konovalenko wrote:

I get the following message
{tcp_slt_array} {tcp_slt_array_R__ver_tcp_slt_array}
Warning: /boot/System.map-2.2.19 does not match kernel data.

sometimes (when running ps, for example) on an upgraded Debian potato box
with Linux 2.2.19.  I failed to determine the origins of this message.

Can this message signify any security problems?

What program generates it (is it the kernel itself?), why, and what
should I do in order to set up the things correctly?

Additional information: How the the current kernel was installed.
The kernel that was initially installed was 2.2.14.  Then 2.2.19 source
was downloaded as a Debian package, unpacked, configured, compiled into a
package with `make-kpkg kernel_image', and then installed with `dpkg -i'.
 The /boot directory was cleaned up before the installation, any
necessary Lilo adjustments were made, and Linux 2.2.19 successfully
booted.

Feel free not to send your reply to debian-security if my problem is not
related to security in any way.

Please cc your reply to me.

Please point an appropriate place (a mailing list, a newsgroup) to ask
more about my problem if it cannot be related to security.

Regards,
  Alexander Konovalenko